What is meant by value-added service that I will bring to my internship/practicum/student teacher service position?
In addition to the requirements of the student's internship/practicum/student teaching position, value added refers to the additional benefit a community receives by having an SIS Americorps member. What extra service does the SIS AmeriCorps member provide that meets an unmet need that otherwise, without the SIS AmeriCorps member, would not be met? Also, value-added service could be looked at as service that wouldn't get done otherwise without the SIS AmeriCorps member.
- lack of professionals in a certain area that otherwise would not be served
- Service meets a need that otherwise would not be met
- Service wouldn't get done otherwise without an SIS AmeriCorps member
- Extra service learning strategy such as additional Service Learning activities for students, starting a service learning club, providing additional resources for community members, etc.
- recruiting volunteers for National Days of Service or other community events
- Lack of skilled volunteers serving critical community need and/or targeted community members
Community Need: Low-income community members need mental health counseling that they otherwise could not afford
- The mental health of over 30 low-income community members, who otherwise would not receive mental health counseling, will improve
- The capacity of the mental health clinic to serve low-income community members will be strengthened
- The awareness of the benefits of mental health counseling in the local community will improve
- Without my service, the local mental health clinic would not be able to meet with as many clients because there are a lack of professional mental health counselors serving low-income individuals in our community
Service activity: Serving at a local mental health clinic as a counselor providing mental health counseling to low-income community members. By serving as a counselor at the local community mental health clinic, I will be strengthening the clinics ability and capacity to serve their local community members.
Value added service: