What positive impact will my service make in my local community?
Below are some examples of positive impacts for specific community needs:
- Community Need: Low-income community members need mental health counseling that they otherwise could not afford
- The mental health of over 30 low-income community members, who otherwise would not receive mental health counseling, will improve
- The capacity of the mental health clinic to serve low-income community members will be strengthened
- The awareness of the benefits of mental health counseling in the local community will improve
- Community Need: Disadvantaged youth who attend Title 1 funded schools who need student teachers to help improve academic achievement and the interest, confidence and willingness to go on to college.
Service activity: Serving at a local mental health clinic as acounselor providing mental health counseling to low-income community members. By serving as a counselor at the local community mental health clinic, I will be strengthening the clinics ability and capacity to serve their local community members.
- 25 at-risk students will have more confidence in their English skills and will be improved writers
- Students be better prepared to apply and attend college in the future
Service activity: Serve as as a student teacher teaching English at a Title 1 funded school in order to serve at-risk youth in helping them gain the knowledge, skills, and motivation to persist through high school graduation. By serving as a student teacher at a Title 1 school I will be better preparing my students to think about applying and attending college in the future.
- Community Need: Veterans who need assistance in preparing to apply for jobs in their local community.
- Increasing the capacity of the Veteran's Assistance Office in serving Veterans
- Better preparing Veterans for the tough job market and improving the reintergration into their local community
- Improving the quality of life of veterans and families by helping them obtain employment
Service activity: Completing a non-paid internship as a support volunteer at a local Veteran Assistance office helping Veterans create strong resumes and cover letters as well as improve interviewing skills that help them apply and obtain jobs in their community. By serving as a support volunteer, I will be helping returning veterans in getting ahead after their active duty military experience and am strenghtening the ability and capacity of my service site to serve returning Veterans.