What is meant by critical community need?
In your local community, there are community needs not being met such as:
- low-income community members needing dental work, mental health counseling, health care or housing
- disadvantaged youth who attend Title 1 funded schools who need mentors, tutors, and student teachers to help improve academic achievement and the interest, confidence and willingness to go on to college
- Homeless community members who need nourishing meals, housing, and other support
- Youth who need help in the math and sciences because the school system scored low on math and science standardized testing
- Senior citizens who need help with small carpentry fixes, chores around the house, or help with their taxes
- Disabled veterans who need assistance with getting a job, getting into college, or need a mentor to help them get ahead
- A polluted stream that needs to be cleaned so as to create a habitat that supports salmon
These are just some examples of critical community needs you can help meet during your SIS AmeriCorps term of service.
Left content here
Right content here