Criminal Record Check Policy
All new members must have a National Sex Offender Registry Check completed and a State Repository check (or if applicable, an FBI fingerprint check) ordered on them before the member can be enrolled into the SIS AmeriCorps program.
A member file must have the following:
- Copy of a "national search" of the National Sex Offender Public Registry Check results
- Signed and dated original of the Criminal Record Check Authorization Form
- Criminal record check order form/email
- Copy of actual background check results
- FBI Fingerprint Record Check results (if applicable)
Once SIS campus coordinator receives results, the majority of members will have no criminal record so then place the results in the member's file with the rest of their enrollment paperwork; however, for those who have a record then you must ask 4 questions:
- Does the member have a murder conviction or is a registrered sex offender? (if student has a murder or is a registered sex offender then they are automatically disqualified for service with SIS AmeriCorps)
- Does the member have any criminal history that may exclude them from serving with SIS or at their site?
- Do I need to contact the member for any clarification about their criminal history? (This step must be completed before member can be excluded from enrolling in the SIS AmeriCorps program)
- Do I need to share these results with the site supervisor?
NOTE: A member may not be told they cannot serve without the due process of the member telling their side of the story before the ultimate decision is made whether the member can be enrolled in the SIS AmeriCorps program.
Any questions, please contact the SIS Grant Manager.